Wednesday, August 05, 2009

sussing up the new AZ trail - ballad of the lone handcyclist.

been checking out the new AZ trail on the western border of the Kachina Peaks wilderness area - great stuff! here's a view of the western edge of the volcanic field in which we live with Kendrick peak to the right and Sitgreaves peak to the left, Alfa Fia tank in the foreground.
some great light playing over Arizona's highest mountains.

here i am three years into being the solo offroad handcyclist. of course Denise is there, but i have only ridden with other handcyclists i think four times in three years - pretty lonely sport! how many people would still ride mountain bikes if they were the only ones who did? not many, not for long, i think. it takes some real dedication to go out and punish yourself solo - the social aspect really is a huge part of cycling. heck, i'm not sure anyone even reads these posts anymore, i mean, how many photos of my ass & rear wheel with a dog following do people wanna see?


here we are exploring a dead end elk trail in a lovely meadow.

sucky - the wildflowers are already winding down due to the dry spell. next month is fall already - WTF? where did my summer go? gonna digest a delicious breakfast & go out and get Kyle's seat stays on and get ready for brazing - more pics soon, & thanks to those who read my rants! Steve.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I reckon there're plenty of us out here in la-la land that look forward to your posts and pictures, Steve-o.

Keep 'em coming!

N-JO said...

I read! I'm Kyle's wife and I read even before you started on his bike. I want to move there someday...

Jason Alsvig said...

I aint lookin' at your ass. Sick bastard. Maybe your dogs ass, but hey....you know.... The photos you post up are great! Especially the detailed frame building bits.

Kyle said...

Pics are great. It's a beautiful area you get to ride. I can't wait to get some rides in out there when I pick up the frame. You're not building me a hand cycle, but I'd be proud for the builder to come along on it's maiden voyage.

Looking forward to it.

Kyle

Mimbres Man said...

Steve,
You were always the hardcore lone cyclist!
You blog is a favorite connection to my "old" life in the USA, and real motivator. Keep it up!
Best to you, Denise, and all your animals!
MM

Pablo said...

Up here in CO we lose an hour of daylight between aug 1 and sept 1. The flowers are still going strong though

Japhy rider said...

the more people i meet, the more i miss my dog. give Sally and Cody a bit old umphfsnortgrowl for Oso.

http://japhyrider.smugmug.com/gallery/606613_pxc49#69787658_E79Th-M-LB

you may be solo, amigo, but you're not alone.

DMC said...

I have to say that I like your rants in person but to read them is a treat. I can close my eyes and see my self riding those trails all over again.
Keep up the ass and dog shots and keep the wheels rolling...

Andrew Brautigam said...

Your hand cycling is inspiring, as is your dedication to your craft, and I never get tired of flowers.

Keep it up!

simon z said...

Since i live in the valley I get on overload of xeric conditions during my rides (most of the year). Tuning into your blog refreshes my brain with random greenery, snow, change etc. Besides i keep waiting for the wheelie shot on the handcycle.

simon

creighton said...

Your never alone Steve.. I appreciate your eye for things that grow, fade, live, die and are of it all. Hope that makes sense... Your work is great as well! Keep the faith Bro.

Yer pal, CW

huck tater said...

Steve,

At the risk of creating marital strife, I love the pics of your ass.

Not as much as I love your plant/flower photos and observations. Since I am a botanist/ecologist it makes me really happy when someone is paying as much attention to their surroundings as you do. Please keep the posts coming... they make me smile.

Lee T from Reno

perryd said...

I've read every post you've put up since day one and I'm not even close to stopping. too cool, it is. As for your ass, well maybe you could wear a thong so you don't have any unfashionable visible underpant line.