Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shabir's project winding down/Dave's starting up.

i got the frame all tacked up and ready for brazing, but i didn't get that far as the day turned into customer relations. no worries! i'm gonna braze it tomorrow first thing while it's cool out, i'm gonna get out in the woods today. i *think* i'm doing pretty well build wise, i keep all my build ques as they evolve and it seems somehow that i have creeped build up to the point i am somehow almost a month ahead after Shabir's and Dave's bikes! this is good as i'll be out of the office from June 24th to July 6th to see my inlaws in Wisconsin, so if you gotta get ahold of me please do it before then.........
here's how my seat stays start out. raw lengths of cro-moly 4130. each set is totally unique to the build, and i braze the segments together - i refer to them as segmented stays - Bontrager did something sorta similar on their old bikes, but their style was to speed up production where as mine slows it down! i use feel, diagrams {see the paper the pieces are resting on} and muscle memory to come up with the bend placement and angle. these babies usually take me an entire day.

bent as per my plan and matched up. nice!

mounted on my Anvil fixture for mitering on the mill.

here i am using the end of the day to draft up Dave's frame. each blueprint is hand drawn by me. i really enjoy this. i took years of drafting in school. nothing like the smell of a #2 Ticonderoga! clients are welcome to have their plans upon completion, just let me know.

all drawn up. i'm still thinking about it, i may incorporate more standover clearance into the design.......the straight line bisecting through the top tube is crotch level. whadda ya think, Dave? you said you liked a bigger bike.........that's 2" standover at the bottom bracket sagged......1" more might be just right. sometimes i'll come back and scrap the whole design & draw a new one...........Steve

Dave's tubeset as it sits.............that's it for now, ya'll. i'll be back with updates probably tomorrow night. Steve.

5 comments:

Jon said...

Hey I'm just commenting cuz no one has. Thanks for these "process" posts. I seem to never tire of them! In case you wonder if anyone reads this build stuff, yeah, we do. Not like I always understand it. But I definitely like to read about it.

steve garro said...

thanks, Jon - i apprciate every shout out! i just filled 1GB with this blog & i have to pay for it now, and that made me realise what a volume of work this is turning into! there are over 400 posts & a few thousand pics......comments like yours give me the boost i need to keep this baby rolling after over three years........Steve.

Jason Alsvig said...

Dude, I check your postings every other day. There are other builders blogs but they seem to show off the lathe, mill, cnc machine, and about a million fixtures sitting in their shops. They've got nice work but you're still doing it by hand pretty much. And it's baddass. I'm still doing everything by hand so I check your shit to see how it's done with little mechanical help. I've got nothing against the machines, mind you. I'd love to have all that crap to play with.

So keep posting up or I'm gonna come out and swipe your mill.....

Jason

JHopp said...

Definitely keep it rolling! I love seeing the bikes come together and the beautiful scenery of the San Fran peaks!....Justin H.

heyjude said...

Steve,
I read a small handful of blogs almost everyday and yours is ALWAYS one of them. The amount of time you spend on it is definitely appreciated. I really miss the area. Your pics take me back home for just a second. Can't wait to see my bike being built!!! Pure class...

Jude